Seattle Needs Awesome and Awesome Needs You
I’m talking about the Awesome Foundation, and we* want you to help form the Seattle chapter.
Are you in? Fill out this very brief interest form and help spread the word through your networks.
Need more info? Read on…
Awesome Foundation is a global of community of good folks experimenting with simple, lightweight funding structures that foster the creation of surprise and delight. Every month, each chapter gives one $1000 grant to the most awesome application. Grants can go to efforts in the arts, sciences, magic, poetry, civic engagement, new media…. you name it. Grants are unrestricted and may go to individuals, non-profit organizations, for-profit organizations, or other entities. There are no reporting requirements; this is a relationship built on trust.
Funds are contributed by Awesome Foundation trustees, who collectively make the granting decisions. Most Awesome Foundations have ten trustees who contribute $100 a month. In Seattle we’re are trying to build a diverse, accessible chapter. We are considering a larger group of trustees, allowing for more participation by lowering the financial commitment.
We will be joining a rapidly growing family of Awesome Foundation chapters around the world. This is philanthropy for the rest of us. If you want to consider joining as a founding trustee or would like to be informed when we start taking grant applications, fill out our very brief interest form. We’ll invite everyone to a get-together over food and drink to talk it over and move forward. Please try to signal your interest by Saturday, June 4th.
Learn more at awesomefoundation.org.
Why does Seattle need Awesome Foundation?
Seattle is too awesome not to have an Awesome Foundation chapter. How awesome is Seattle? Let me count some ways…
- This is the city that launched a thousand arts walks.
- We are building a dynamic maker/hacker/DIY culture (see Jigsaw Renaissance, Random Hacks of Kindness, Seattle Hacks/Hackers, Hollow Earth Radio).
- We support a vibrant youth arts and music scene (see Reel Grrls, Arts Corps, Hidmo Next, The Vera Project).
- We love to grow things (see Seattle Tilth, P-Patch Community Gardens).
That’s just scratching the surface of awesome activity in our back yard. We believe that out there in this dynamic mix are hundreds of ideas that could get a start or a boost with a 1,000 bucks and some community love.
Awesome Foundation is an opportunity to make Seattle even more awesome by inter-networking our creative communities.
Why should you be an Awesome Foundation Seattle Trustee?
- You are already an ambassador of awesome, a community maven, a dedicated activist, a mover and a shaker.
- You’re looking for a fun, new way to make friends and build your community.
- You believe that people-powered, decentralized networks can build a better Seattle and a better world.
Bonus: according to tradition, chapters generally grant the first person holding a trustee slot the right to title that position for all future occupants of the slot on the board (e.g. The Tim Hwang Chair for Higher Awesome Studies).
Are you ready to get it started? Sign up to come to a dinner and learn more.
While you’re at it, please share this post widely across all of your awesome networks.
* Who are we?
The founders of Awesome Foundation Seattle are:
- Tommer Peterson: Long time Seattle resident, artist, theater-guy, rabble-rouser, and deputy director of Grantmakers in the Arts. Age 61.
- Nathaniel James: Consultant, digital activist, community builder and social entrepreneur, working at the intersection of technology, media, advocacy and the arts. Recently returned to Seattle after 3 years living and working in Washington, DC. Serves on the board of National Alliance for Media Arts and Culture. Age 32.